Here is a project you would probably not notice unless you read about it. BCIT’s Facilities and Campus Development department has replaced on April 15th, 2013 all the old lights (HID – 250 Watts) on Smith Street with new General Electric LED Cobra Head parking lights (142 Watts). The new Cobra Head LEDs save electricity (and associated costs) but they also make maintenance easier. The new lights are expected to last for 50,000 hours. That means it should take more than 11 years (at 12 hours per day) before we need to climb up there to replace a burnt light bulb. We are therefore also saving money on maintenance. Smart!
BCIT received so far more than $25,000 from BC Hydro Power Smart for the overall LED Cobra Head project accross BCIT Burnaby campus. Thanks again to the Facilities and Campus Development team for making this project happen!
Highlights about the technology:
- LED parking lights represent up to a 50% reduction in energy consumption compared
- The Cobra Head comes with its own built-in heat sink and surge protection.
- The light output is increased because of the reflective material included in the casing.
- The Cobra Head Power Factor >90%.
- These lamps come in models ranging from 50W a 150W.
Energy conservation: 18 GJ/yr or 5,000 ekWh/yr