- Building Science Graduate Program
- British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
- Research Gate
- Google Scholar
Keywords: Environmental Planning and Design, Building Environmental Quality, Building Systems Integration, Thermal Comfort, Indoor Air Quality
Throughout his professional career, involving research and development for the planning and design of large residential developments and hospitals, as well as his academic research, he has been keen on developing tools and methods to help engineer built environments that are healthy, welcoming and pleasant.
Rodrigo is passionate about great architecture and human- and environment-centered design. As such his research focuses on improving knowledge on modelling and measuring techniques for predicting performance of indoor environments and how these affect human health and improve human experiences in buildings. He uses this knowledge to investigate novel environmental systems that are responsive to the needs and goals of people, and in harmony with the environment.
Current Research Projects:
- Environment and occupant sensing and monitoring integral to buildings
- Building environmental data analytics
- Smart building environmental systems
- ASHRAE SSPC-55: Thermal Environmental Conditions for Human Occupancy, voting member, http://sspc55.ashraepcs.org/
- ASHRAE SSPC-170: Ventilation of Health Care Facilities, 55-170 liaison
- ASHRAE T-TAC-TC04.10: Indoor Environmental Modelling, corresponding member
- IEA-EBC ANNEX 69: EBC Annex 69 Strategy and Practice of Adaptive Thermal Comfort in Low Energy Buildings, participant, http://annex69.org/index
- TECA (Thermal Environmental Comfort Association of BC): Quality 1st Certified in Ventilation, Forced-Air, and Hydronics Design
Course Development and Teaching at BCIT
- BSCI 9000 Building Science 1 (2011- ), course created, Building Science Master’s Degree, BCIT
- BSCI 9100 Building Science 2 (2011- ), course created, Building Science Master’s Degree, BCIT
- BSCI 9170 Ventilation and Indoor Air Quality (2011- ), course created, Building Science Master’s Degree, BCIT
- BSCI 9050 Research Methods (2013- 2014), course created, Building Science Master’s Degree, BCIT
Recent Publications (last 10 years)
Published Peer-Reviewed Scientific Journal Articles
- Gauthier S., Bourikas L., Al-Atrash F., Bae C., Chun C., de Dear R., Hellwig R., Kim J., Kwon S., Mora R., Pandya H., Rawal R., Tartarini F., Upadhyay R., and Wagner A. (2020). The colours of comfort: From thermal sensation to person-centric thermal zones for adaptive building strategies, Energy and Buildings, Elsevier, In Press.
- Upadhyay R., Mora R., Jean M.A., Koupriyanov M. (2020). Experimental Study on the Performance Evaluation of Active Chilled Beams in Heating and Cooling Operation Under Varied Boundary Conditions, Journal of Science and Technology of the Built Environment, Taylor & Francis.
- Runa T. Hellwig, Despoina Teli, Marcel Schweiker, Joon-Ho Choi, Meng-Chieh, (Jeffrey) Lee, Rodrigo Mora, Rajan Rawal, Zhaojun Wang, Farah Al-Atrash (2019). A framework for adopting adaptive thermal comfort principles in design and operation of buildings, Energy and Buildings, Elsevier, Vol, 205.
- Ellis J, Schwartz J, Mora R (2017). Study of Natural Ventilation Effectiveness for an Active Net-Zero Energy House, Intl. Journal of Ventilation, Vol. 16, Issue 2. VEETECH, UK
- Romero D, James J, Mora R, Hays C (2013). Study on the mechanical and environmental properties of concrete containing cathode ray tube glass aggregate, Journal of Waste Management, Pergamon, Vol. 33, Issue 7, pp. 1659-1666.
- Mora R, Bitsuamlak G, Horvat M (2011). Integrated life-cycle design of building enclosures, Building and Environment, Elsevier, Vol. 46, Issue 7, pp. 1469-1479.
Published Peer-Reviewed Industry Articles
- Mora R., Meteyer M. (2019). Thermal comfort in health care settings. ASHRAE Journal, July, 2019.
- Mora R. (2019). Designing thermally comfortable low-energy homes. BCBEC Elements Magazine, Spring/Summer 2019. (not peer-reviewed)
- Mora R. and Bean R (2018). Thermal comfort and energy analyses of a window retrofit with dynamic glazing. ASHRAE Journal, December 2018.
- Bean R and Mora R (2018). Prioritizing thermal comfort for home: a case study in using Standard 55 for a residential building. ASHRAE Journal, September 2018.
- Mora R, Bean R (2018). Thermal comfort: designing for people. ASHRAE Journal, February 2018.
- Yan D., Mora R. (2016). Condensation risk assessment of window-wall facades under the effect of various heating systems, BCBEC Elements Magazine, Fall/Winter 2016. (not peer-reviewed)
Peer-Reviewed Conference Articles
- Hellwig, R. T., Despoina, T., Schweiker, M., Choi, J-H., Lee, J. M. C., Mora, R., Rawal, R., Wang, Z. & Al-Atrash, F. (2020). Guidelines to bridge the gap between adaptive thermal comfort theory and building design and operation practice, Proceedings of Windsor Conference: Resilient Comfort, Eds. Roaf S., Nicol F., and Finlaysin W., Windsor, UK.
- Jean M-A, Upadhyay R, Flood C, Mora R. (2019). Assessment of Natural Ventilation using a Whole-Building Simulation Model: A Case Study of a Landmark Building. IAQVEC 2019 Conference, Bari, Italy, September 2019.
- Jean M-A, Upadhyay R, Koupriyanov M, Mora R. (2019). Experimental Study on the Performance Evaluation of Active Chilled Beams (ACB) in Cooling Operation under Varied Boundary Conditions. IAQVEC 2019 Conference, Bari, Italy, September 2019.
- Hellwig, R. T., Despoina, T., Schweiker, M., Choi, J-H., Lee, J. M. C., Mora, R., Rawal, R., Wang, Z. & Al-Atrash, F., (2019). Applying adaptive principles: Developing guidance for planning practice S. Roaf and W. Finlayson, eds., Comfort at the Extremes: Energy, Economy and Climate (CATE). [online] Dubai. Ecohouse Initiative Ltd., p. 262-276 14 p.
- Upadhyay R., Mora R. (2019). Performance Evaluation of Active Chilled Beam (ACB) in Real Office Conditions in a High-Performance Building, ASHRAE Winter Conference, Atlanta, January 2019.
- Cheng L.J., Singh R., Upadhyay R., Mora R. (2018). Indoor Air Quality Study in the Carpentry Workshop at School of Construction and Environment at BCIT. Indoor Air Conference 2018, Philadelphia, USA.
- Mora R, Meteyer M (2018). Using thermal comfort models in health care settings. ASHRAE Transactions, Houston, TX, USA.
- Martins de Barros F, Mora R, Flood C (2018). Assessment of natural ventilation using a whole building simulation model in a case-study building, accepted for the Building Performance Analysis Conference and SimBuild co-organized by ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA, Chicago, IL, USA, September 26-28, 2018.
- Martins de Barros F, Mora R, Flood C (2018). Assessment of natural ventilation in a case-study building using the adaptive comfort model, eSim conference in Montreal, Quebec, May 9-10, 2018.
- Mottaghi A, Mora R (2018). Model-based coupling of air and hydronic systems operation in a typical classroom of a high-performance academic building, Building Performance Analysis Conference and SimBuild co-organized by ASHRAE and IBPSA-USA, Chicago, IL, USA, September 26-28, 2018.
- Yan D, Mora R (2014). Condensation risk assessment of window‐wall facades under the effect of different heating systems using 2‐D Finite Element and CFD simulations, proc. 14th Canadian Conf. of Bldg. Science and Tech., Toronto, On, Canada
- Atwal L, Mora R and Mustapha G (2013). Sensitive Homes: Remote Sensing and Monitoring Integral to Homes. In Proceedings from 17th ASHRAE IAQ Conference, 2013, pp: 341-351, Vancouver, BC
- Mora R, Croft D (2013). Building Science Integrated Systems – Methodological Framework, Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI) Conference, April 3-5, ASCE, Penn State University, USA.
- Romero D, Mora R, James J, Hays C (2013). Evaluating the use of Potentially Hazardous Secondary Aggregates in Concrete based on Life-Cycle Effects on Water Pollution, The 28th International Conference on Solid Waste Technology and Management, Philadelphia, PA U.S.A, March 10-13, 2013
Supervised MASc student theses
- Upadhyay R (2018). Performance evaluation of active chilled beam in cooling and heating operation under actual field boundary conditions.
- Mottaghi A (2017). Model-based coupling of air and hydronic system operation in a high performance academic building.
- Martins de Barros F (2017). Assessment of natural ventilation using whole building simulation methodological framework.
- Ellis J (2016). Assessment of natural ventilation design and efficacy in a net-zero energy house: a case study of the Harmony House.
- Atwal Loveleen (2015). A field study on quality of three First Nation homes on the Squamish Urban Reserve of West Vancouver.
- Performance study report 1 (2017). Pilot study investigation of the performance gap in high-performance buildings. Vancouver Island University Cowichan Campus: Observations of performance issues and identification of research opportunities. By: Rodrigo Mora and Rohit Upadhyay. Submitted to the facilities department of VIU. Ongoing phase II of the study.
- Performance study report 2. (2017). Pilot study investigation of the performance gap in high-performance buildings. Van Dusen Botanical Gardens Visitors Centre: Observations of performance issues and identification of research opportunities. By: Rodrigo Mora and Rohit Upadhyay. Submitted to the City of Vancouver and the facilities department. Ongoing phase II of the study.
- Performance study report 3. (2017). Using Building Analytics for Fault Detection & Diagnosis: A Case Study on an Educational Building at BCIT. Abbas Rangwala and Rodrigo Mora. Submitted to the facilities department at BCIT.
- Performance study report 4. (2018). A Source-Side Analysis of Ground Source Heat Pump System at BCIT’s SW-01 Gateway Building. By Nafe Chaudhry, Rodrigo Mora, and Rohit Upadhyay. Submitted to the facilities department at BCIT.
- Performance study report 5. (2018). A Demand-Side Analysis of Ground Source Heat Pump System at BCIT’s SW-01 Gateway Building. By Behzad Zargar, Rodrigo Mora, and Rohit Upadhyay. Submitted to the facilities department at BCIT.
- Performance study report 6. (2018). Window retrofit study of dynamic glazing in south‐facing offices to avoid the need for mechanical cooling at the departments of mathematics and statistics in Simon Frazer University (SFU). By: Rodrigo Mora and Rohit Upadhyay. Submitted to the SFU facilities department.
- Performance study report 7. (2020). Modeling open office retrofits for low-energy thermal comfort. By Desmond Wan and Rodrigo Mora. Submitted to the energy management department at BCIT.
- Performance study report 8. (2020). Field study on the impact of exterior blinds on overheating in case-study south-west facing offices at BCIT. By Rohan Warisa and Rodrigo Mora. Submitted to the energy management department at BCIT.