Given the disturbing incident at SFU Burnaby Campus on the evening of February 21, we want to remind the BCIT community of the extensive safety and security measures in place across our campuses.
- The free BCIT Safety Wise Mobile App is the most convenient source of safety information and emergency communication when you need it most. The app connects you to BCIT security staff, emergency resources, safety tips, and comprehensive campus maps with the touch of a button.
- Safer Walk is a free service available 24/7 at the Burnaby, CARI, Downtown, Annacis, and Aerospace Campuses. Anyone can request to have a security team member walk them to their destination on campus.
- Blue emergency telephones are located at the Burnaby, Aerospace technology, Downtown, and Annacis Island campuses. These telephones are available to report emergencies as well for general inquiries.
- Security guards are on site and available 24/7. They also conduct routine bike patrols.
- In-house telephones are located throughout the main buildings on all BCIT campuses for key internal calls, including BCIT Security, as well as emergency calls.
Our number one priority at BCIT is to ensure the health and safety of our staff, students, and faculty. By working, learning, and living together we create a stronger and safer community. In that light, we ask all community members to always report any suspicious behavior.
There are a variety of on-campus and off-campus resources available for both students and employees who have experienced sexual violence and misconduct, or for those who have received a disclosure. These resources are included on the BCIT SSEM website to provide information and support.
Director, Safety, Security & Emergency Management