BCIT is pleased to rank twelfth among Canada’s best institutes in CourseCompare’s Best Colleges in Canada for international students in 2023 list and eleventh on their Canada’s Best Co-op Programs of 2023 list. Using data from Statistics Canada and provincial governments, in combination with reporting by colleges and recent graduates, CourseCompare’s evidence-based ranking is the most comprehensive of its kind in Canada. International student populations, tuition premiums, student satisfaction, career outcomes, and student housing availability were among the factors closely analyzed.
Why international students choose BCIT
For the past two decades, BCIT has been committed to empowering students through fostering diverse communities, establishing world-class partnerships, and encouraging values of sustainability and global prosperity.
In the 2019/2020 academic year pre-COVID, BCIT enrolled over 6,500 international students from more than 100 countries– comprising approximately about 14% of BCIT’s total student population. Moving forward, BCIT continues to strive to attract and support international students to enrich our learning environment.
BCIT offers nearly hundreds of programs available for international students, leading to certificates, diplomas, degrees, and master’s degrees. The Institute offers the option of either a Regular Full-time or Flexible Learning programs based on the varying needs of our students. For example, Flexible Learning programs are particularly attractive for those working part-time.
BCIT provides further support to international students on the quest for Canadian work experience through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP). Applicants can acquire a PGWP work permit, allowing them to stay and work for up to three years before applying for permanent residency, should they wish to make Canada their home.
International Credential Evaluation Services (ICES)
In further supporting international students immigrate to Canada, BCIT International, through the International Credential Evaluation Services (ICES), provides credential evaluation for internationally educated individuals who want to pursue study, employment, or immigration to Canada.
This service helps Canadian newcomers determine if they meet the requirements for regulated or non-regulated professions, and also proves to Canadian employers, post-secondary institutions, and immigration services that they have the necessary knowledge and training for their chosen field in Canada. More than 13,000 foreign credentials have been evaluated annually since 2018.
International student support
At BCIT, students have access to many resources to support their educational journey and life abroad:
- The International Peer Mentoring program connects international students starting their first term with a mentor who will help them transition to life at BCIT.
- For more in-depth questions, BCIT hosts a myriad of International Student Orientations. These orientations include both an online workshop series, and an in-person meet and greet social event at campus.
- New students are encouraged to look through our online International Student Guides. These guides are an essential part of student’s transition and overall orientation process. They can be accessed any time.
- Looking to meet new people? BCIT hosts weekly events that span from pre-arrival preparation and career focused workshops to social activities and health and well-being.
- To help students feel confident in their studies, the English Language Success Hub offers free, online, asynchronous lessons to help students with their English language. The English Lounge and 1:1 Flexible Language Support are also resources students can utilize to further improve their skills.
Enriching student experience through campus engagements, outbound experiences, and intercultural development, as well as through opportunities to work abroad and host international colleagues, is at the core of what we do at BCIT. Notably:
- BCIT has delivered its international diploma programs through more than 20 overseas partner institutions in South Korea, China, Brazil, Chile, and Vietnam, to approximately 6,000 students over the past decade.
- BCIT has sent over 200 faculty and students to more than 20 countries over the past five years, to participate in teaching/learning and applied research initiatives.
- BCIT has established agreements with more than 200 institutions/organizations worldwide, for student and faculty mobility, capacity building and industry training initiatives.
Ready to be part of the BCIT community?
BCIT students are part of a powerful community of successful innovators, creators, and leaders working in countless industries in BC and around the globe. We are excited to have you join our community in making a meaningful impact.
Begin your studying abroad journey by contacting BCIT International.