The Institute Research Committee (IRC) recently held a meeting to review applications for BCIT research funds. The IRC received 10 applications for this second round of funding. While all applications were worthy of consideration, it was the Committee’s decision to approve the following 5 proposals, as recommended by their School Research Committees:
- Ed Bosman (School of Business) – $24,050 in funding (for Year 1) through the VP Research Seed Fund for project entitled “Use of Business by Design Cloud ERP System as a Tool to Teach CRM and Analytics.”
- Mirela Gutica (School of Computing and Academic Studies) – $25,000 in funding (for Year 1) and an additional $25,000 in funding (for Year 2) through the VP Research Seed Fund for project entitled “Research Platform for Adaptation to Affect in the Context of Intelligent Tutoring Systems.”
- Rodrigo Mora (School of Construction & the Environment) – $24,978 in funding (for Year 1) and an additional $24,358 (for Year 2) through the Discovery Parks Fund for project entitled “Remote Sensing & Monitoring Integral to Homes: Test-Bed on High-Performance Low-Income Homes in Remote BC Regions.”
- Sanja Boskovic & Mehrzad Tabatabaian (School of Energy) – $25,000 in funding through the Discovery Parks Fund for Phase 2 of project entitled “Thermoelectric Power Generation from Waste Heat Co-gen Applications for CEER.”
- Nancy Paris, Karen Mooder & Shan Satoglu (Support & Service / Technology Centre) – $25,000 in funding (for Year 1) through the Discovery Parks Fund for project entitled “Lab-on-a-Chip Antibiogram for Diagnosis and Treatment of Pediatric Gastro-Intestinal Infections: Design of Validation Study and Preliminary Technical Performance Evaluation.”
In reviewing the applications, IRC members clearly recognized the quality of the proposals and the importance of the research that applicants were considering engaging in. We appreciate the work and effort that everyone put into the application process, and wish everyone success in conducting their research.
Timelines for 3rd Round of Funding:
We encourage others at the Institute to apply for funding through their School Research Committees. The IRC will be meeting again on Tuesday, February 28, 2012 to review applications for the third round of funding. Applications for these funds need to be forwarded to School Research Committees no later than Friday, February 3, 2012. Successful candidates will be notified by Friday, March 16, 2012.
Further information and the application form can be found on the Institute Research Funds website.
In the meantime, the Applied Research Liaison Office would be very pleased to work with you to investigate other opportunities to seek out research funding.
Vice President of Education, Research and International
British Columbia Institute of Technology