Maligayang Araw ng Kalayaan! Happy Independence Day!
June is Filipino Heritage Month, a yearly celebration that coincides with the June 12 anniversary of the Philippines’ 1898 Declaration of Independence from Spain.
Nearly one million people of Filipino descent call Canada home. It is one of the fastest growing communities in the country. Please take the time to recognize communities of Filipino descent and celebrate the important role they continue to play in creating an open, diverse, and inclusive society. Today, more than 150,000 Filipinos call BC home and have a long history in our province dating back to the 1880s.
Proudly Philippines, Proudly Filipino, organized by the Philippine Consulate General, is a month-long celebration of Philippine culture through its people. Due to the safety protocols and guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s festival takes place virtually. The virtual festival runs until July 16, and all the events are accessible through the Philippine Consulate General’s social media pages.
Learn more about Filipino Heritage Month:
- Statement by Minister Chagger on Filipino Heritage Month
- Joint statement on Filipino Heritage Month
- Philippine Independence Day
- Celebrating the 123rd Philippine Independence Day: What independence means to Filipinos
- June becomes Filipino Heritage Month
- Metro Vancouverites celebrate Filipino Heritage Month