For the latest COVID-19 information please refer to the BCIT COVID-19 website.
As COVID-19 cases continue to increase across the Lower Mainland, we would like to remind the BCIT community to continue to stay vigilant in practicing COVID-19 prevention. This includes:
- Staying home if you are feeling unwell.
- Maintaining two metres physical distance from other people.
- Washing your hands frequently for at least 20 seconds using soap and water (or if a sink is not available, using a 60-90% alcohol-based hand sanitizer).
- Not touching your face/eyes/mouth with unwashed hands.
- BCIT’s strong recommendation to wear a mask in all indoor common areas. Common areas include spaces shared by other people, such as classrooms, labs, shops, washrooms, study areas, hallways, and stairwells. This direction is in addition to other specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) that may be in place for individual program or department Safety Plans.
Non-medical mask use is recommended by the BC Centre for Disease Control, the Provincial Health Officer, and the Public Health Agency of Canada in preventing the spread of COVID-19. Students on campus who would like a mask can visit the Safety, Security, and Emergency Management Office (SSEM) on their campus.
The Public Health Agency of Canada offers the following advice on how to safely use a non-medical mask or face covering:
- Do wear a non-medical mask or face covering to protect yourself and others.
- Do ensure the mask is made of at least three (3) layers, including two (2) layers of tightly woven fabric, with a filter or filter fabric between layers.
- Do inspect the mask for tears or holes.
- Do ensure the mask or face covering is clean and dry.
- Do wash your hands or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after touching the mask or face covering.
- Do use the ear loops or ties to put on and remove the mask.
- Do ensure your nose and mouth are fully covered.
- Do replace and launder your mask whenever it becomes damp or dirty.
- Do wash your mask with hot, soapy water and let it dry completely before wearing it again.
- Do store re-usable masks in a clean paper bag until you wear it again.
- Do discard masks that cannot be washed in a plastic lined garbage bin after use.
- Don’t wear masks with exhalation valves or vents.
- Don’t wear a loose mask.
- Don’t touch the mask while wearing it.
- Don’t remove the mask to talk to someone.
- Don’t hang mask from your neck or ears.
- Don’t share your mask.
- Don’t leave your used mask within the reach of others.
- Don’t reuse masks that are damp, dirty, or damaged.
While BCIT programming continues to be delivered primarily online, many students, faculty, and staff continue to access our campuses and mask-wearing is one measure we can use to help protect our community. Remember, wearing a non-medical mask or face covering alone will not prevent the spread of COVID-19. Stay at home if you’re unwell, wash your hands often, and practise physical distancing.
Stay safe and well!