As you may have heard, the BC Provincial Health Officer announced expanded and updated response Orders today to aid in controlling the spread of COVID-19. Effective today, November 19, 2020 at midnight to December 7, 2020 at midnight, the following new Orders will be in place for everyone across British Columbia:
- Masks are now required for everyone in all public indoor settings and all retail stores. Masks are required in all workplaces for shared work areas and areas where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- No social gatherings of any size with anyone other than your household or core bubble. This includes all social events and social community-based gatherings as defined in the PHO order – Gathering and Events.
- Suspend all high-risk indoor group fitness activities.
- Games, competitions, and practices can continue with no spectators and no travel.
- Businesses are to suspend any returns to the office for employees who have been working remotely.
- All non-essential travel should be avoided. This includes travel into and out of BC and between regions of the province. People travelling to BC from another province or territory within Canada should only come for essential reasons.
BCIT is working closely with the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills, and Training to review today’s new Orders as they relate to the post-secondary sector.
We will share updates with the community as new information becomes available. While these Orders may present challenges for some members of our community, it is important to ensure we all do our part to keep each other and our community safe.
The Provincial Health Officer’s announcement and the full Orders are available here.
Director, Safety, Security and Emergency Management