*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Here is an exciting opportunity to work for the Ministry of the Solicitor General, Centre of Forensic Sciences. Become a part of the Ontario justice system by providing forensic biology examinations services.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- provide technical leadership in planning the activities of the technical group in order to plan, prioritize and assign work
- conduct technical reviews and evaluations of completed work
- ensure quality control processes are developed and maintained in alignment with the quality assurance programs in place
- perform a range of analyses employed in forensic DNA testing
- assist in the evaluation and need for modifications to current standards, operating procedures and forensic biology testing processes
- set up, operate, maintain, troubleshoot, calibrate, validate and provide training on instrumentation/hardware to ensure effective operations and implementation
How do I qualify?
- you demonstrate knowledge of laboratory practices and techniques and scientific theories in such disciplines as chemistry, biology, biochemistry, molecular biology and their application to forensic science to conduct technical reviews and evaluation of work
- you have knowledge of laboratory quality assurance and quality control programs, ability to acquire knowledge of standard operating procedures and legislative authorities to ensure reliability of results and compliance with accreditation standards
- you demonstrate knowledge of leading edge and emerging technologies in the field of forensic biology and the operations and capabilities of scientifically advanced testing instruments
Technical Leadership Skills
- your technical leadership skills allow you to provide leadership and mentoring to DNA Biologists.
Research, Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
- you have research skills to collaborate in research projects on new methodologies, evaluation and recommendation of new procedures and equipment instrumentation, including the knowledge and skills to able to participate in research and evaluations of testing methodologies where no precedents or standards exist
- you have analytical skills to evaluate the outcome of laboratory test results and to identify and resolve issues or problems related to samples or instruments
- your problem solving skills enable you to provide advice and resolution, identify precautions to be taken, and to troubleshoot problems with laboratory equipment
Communication and Consultation Skills
- you have demonstrated oral and written communication skills to prepare data findings and detailed notes of observations and tests, and to provide testimony
- your consultation skills enable you to provide training, advice and mentoring to DNA Biologists
*IMPORTANT APPLICATIONS INSTRUCTIONS*
As part of the application process, please provide a response (500 word maximum) to the following question and submit this with your cover letter and resume. Please upload as one full document and write your full name on your response page. Those that do not include a written response will not proceed to the screening stage.
Question: Having reviewed the application materials, what do you believe to be the most important attribute of a forensic biologist, and why? Tell us, with the use of examples, how you have demonstrated this attribute.
1 Permanent, 70 Foster Drive, Suite 500, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Criminal Record Check
The number of positions to be filled has not been identified at this time. This competition will be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates to fill upcoming opportunities within the next eighteen months following the closing date of the job ad posting.In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
You must apply online.
Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Monday, April 26, 2021 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.