Independent Investigations Office is looking for a practicum student to begin a 3 month practicum starting Spring/Summer 2017.
As an IIO practicum student your responsibilities will include:
- Developing and delivering a range of analytical products,
- Researching, collating, reviewing, evaluating, and analyzing information from a variety of sources to develop products that assist management in decision making and provides guidance and recommendation to further investigations
- Contributing to program planning related to investigative analysis involving unique qualitative, quantitative and socioeconomic analysis, using social science theory and advanced statistical methods to develop various investigative analytical products
- Providing guidance to other personnel on the process for data extraction and compilation which is utilized for the investigative analytical function, as well as for the preparation of statistical reports and investigative reviews
What will you do?
- Tasks depending on the project… may include:
- literature reviews/reviewing occurrence reports
- assisting with data collection and entry (e.g., interviewing, contacting outside agencies, surveys)
- assisting with basic descriptive analyses
- assisting with report writing
- helping develop studies
- tasks vary— depending on assignments and roles
- a busy office environment
- to conduct research in the “real world”
- lots of variety in your tasks
- opportunities to learn about the world of policing
- experience working with the IIO
- a challenging and rewarding experience.
Please contact Patrick Neal via email only (Patrick_neal@bcit.ca) with a 2 page resume and 1 page cover letter. In the cover letter address, explain why you are the ideal candidate for the IIO. The screening process will include 1 interview with Patrick for short listing and then 1 interview with IIO panel. Also please visit the IIO website for more details about IIO. Interested students need to apply by email before June 15, 2017.