Svetlana Brzev and fourth year Civil Engineering student Porkeang Lim had lots of fun this summer working on a collaborative UBC and BCIT collaborative research project. The topic of the project is seismic stability of reinforced masonry (RM) shear walls, and it is sponsored by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the masonry industry – Canadian Concrete Masonry Producers Association (CCMPA) and the Masonry Institute of BC (MIBC). The goal is to establish safe slenderness limits for RM shear walls and avoid out-of-plane buckling of these walls due to in-plane seismic loading. Five 3.8 m high masonry columns subjected to reversed cyclic loading are currently being tested at UBC to study the behaviour of end-regions of RM shear walls, which are most susceptible to buckling. The research associated with this project is the scope of Masters’ thesis for a 2009 B.Eng. (Civil) grad Nazli Azimikor. Nazli will be remembered as the first BCIT Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering grad to have pursued graduate studies.
Real Students. Real Life.
Get the scoop on BCIT right from the source: the students!
These students are sharing their experiences at BCIT, and you can follow their adventures through the year. Read about their experiences both inside and outside of the classrooms, labs and shops. Discover BCIT from our students' unique perspective.
Life at BCIT Student Bloggers
- Guess These Baby Parts! 3 views
- New Year, New Adventures 3 views
- BCIT marketing student’s photo campaign goes viral 2 views
- Preparing for Sonography Interviews 1 view
- TEDxBCIT: Building the Future 1 view
- Aboriginal Services Aerospace Technology Campus Alumni Applied Research Liaison Office bcit BCIT International BCIT Library BCIT Marketing and Communications BIG Info biomedical engineering bmet Burnaby Campus Canadian Society for Civil Engineering Centre for Architectural Ecology convocation Downtown Campus Engineering Events Facilities Faculty & Staff Finance & Administration Foundation Green Team Human Resources Implementation Plan Learning & Teaching Centre Learning & Technology Services Marine Campus open house Peter Thomson Centre for Venture Development Rivers Institute School of Business School of Computing and Academic Studies School of Construction and the Environment School of Energy School of Health Sciences School of Transportation Student Association Student Services Sustainability Trades Apprenticeship & Technician United Way vancouver Vancouver 2010 Video