Svetlana Brzev and fourth year Civil Engineering student Porkeang Lim had lots of fun this summer working on a collaborative UBC and BCIT collaborative research project. The topic of the project is seismic stability of reinforced masonry (RM) shear walls, and it is sponsored by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the masonry industry – Canadian Concrete Masonry Producers Association (CCMPA) and the Masonry Institute of BC (MIBC). The goal is to establish safe slenderness limits for RM shear walls and avoid out-of-plane buckling of these walls due to in-plane seismic loading. Five 3.8 m high masonry columns subjected to reversed cyclic loading are currently being tested at UBC to study the behaviour of end-regions of RM shear walls, which are most susceptible to buckling. The research associated with this project is the scope of Masters’ thesis for a 2009 B.Eng. (Civil) grad Nazli Azimikor. Nazli will be remembered as the first BCIT Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering grad to have pursued graduate studies.
Real Students. Real Life.
Get the scoop on BCIT right from the source: the students!
These students are sharing their experiences at BCIT, and you can follow their adventures through the year. Read about their experiences both inside and outside of the classrooms, labs and shops. Discover BCIT from our students' unique perspective.
Life at BCIT Student Bloggers
- Hundreds of graduates celebrate at winter convocation 772 views
- Life at BCIT 667 views
- Free Hospital Parking 559 views
- Web Evaluation Game teaches students to evaluate sources 447 views
- BCIT School of Business welcomes new dean 423 views
- Aboriginal Services Aerospace Aerospace Technology Campus airplane Airport Airport Operations Alumni applied research Applied Research Liaison Office Aviation bcit BCIT Foundation BCIT International BCIT Marketing and Communications bcit television and video production biomedical engineering bmet Burnaby Campus Computing Computing & Information Technology convocation Engineering Events Facilities Faculty & Staff Foundation Green Team Health Sciences Human Resources Learning & Technology Services Marine Campus Rivers Institute School of Business School of Computing and Academic Studies School of Construction and the Environment School of Energy School of Health Sciences School of Transportation Student Association Student Services Sustainability Trades Apprenticeship & Technician vancouver Video YVR